Monday, February 14, 2005

It must be me.

I must have some kind of magnet inside my computer that attracts weird .NET framework bugs. Now, it's a random "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a (send/receive)", when calling web services under stress.
I googled a lot and I couldn't find something that solved my problem. Sure, I found a lot about HTTP Keep-alives and about proxies that dump the connection, but:

  1. I tried the KeepAlive = false solution, and it didn't work, as expected - MS says that solved this problem in one of the service packs.

  2. Proxies are not my problem. I am not passing through a proxy, neither accessing a remote machine. All the calls are being done on the same machine: the web service is simply a way for doing calls from a service to an ASP.NET application - kind of a sophisticated RPC

  3. No exception is being thrown at the server side, and nothing appears on the Event Viewer



I must be doing something wrong. The trouble is: what? Crivo is quite sophisticated (over 220 projects), and this web service is a façade for calling this code. Anything can be the source of the problem. And I can't believe that web services are that troublesome and not scalable to this point (I'm doing only 8 parallel calls).

Sigh... It will be a long debugging and stress-testing week.

Comments:
Hi Daniel. What a technical blog you have. I noticed you had visited my site. I'm a freelance columnist and have only recently allowed myself to be talked into this whole blogging thing which, I must admit, I do find rather fascinating. Rather like wandering around a huge pile of open diaries, without any repercussions. I know you must be way too busy to deal with the small question of an obscure columnist, but I wonder...what's the most efficient means of attracting hits? I have a book in the pipeline and this is a great segue from my current byline of "Single...With Children" to more personal and "unplugged" writing. You know, the stuff my editors would never have allowed in a medium-sized newspaper in a Bible Belt City. Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Cool blog.
www.susiewrites.blogspot.com
susiewrites@ec.rr.com
Thanks, sp
 
Hi Daniel

I've experienced the same problem. Tried everything and couldn't understand what caused the problem.

I guess Microsoft has admit there is a problem.

Here's a link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819450
 
Daniel,

I have seen you around on CodeProject, so good to see you here too.

I am having the same problem as you. I have 2 machines, everything works fine on one and I get this dumb error on the other. For th moment I am trying to connect to localhost.

I have looked into all the machine.config changes etc but to no avail. Looked into firewall issues but that didnt help either. Ugh!!!!! This is driving me nuts. And the one msdn knowledge base article that everyone talks about, shows up with a "The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not Available". (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819450).

Oh well, maybe I'll find a solution as get some sleep.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
An unexpected error occurred on a (send/receive)...

I've just started getting this same error - and trying to find the text of the KB - for 819450 - but still unavailable.

Did you eventually figure out a solution for this issue ?!?

Please let me know...>

Chris O"Connor
coconnor@dws.com.au
 
Hello,

I have the same problem on some of our production servers, it’s driving me nuts! I can’t seem to find a real fix and Microsoft has removed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819450

I can see from Googles cache of that page, that it’s listed as a problem with NET 1.1

Does anyone know of a real fix for this issue? Help…..

-Stonie.
 
daniel -- did you ever solve this problem? I experienced a VERY similar problem, except that it was with WinHTTP. The problem was with SSL connections, and we were finally able to solve. Email me at kyle.klineATgmailDOTcom
 
Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a starting a pc repair business site. It pretty much covers ##PC Repair## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.
 
.

Free Anonymous Proxies at www.jeepee.biz/proxyworld

Get them Completely Free


Good luck!

jeepee.biz
 
.

Free Anonymous Proxies

69.25.27.209:80
80.224.16.222:80
134.39.27.36:80
213.26.185.228:80
203.131.80.158:80
203.144.216.211
211.101.6.3:8080

More Free Proxies: Go to http://jeepee.biz/infopage, and get them at "Page1", "Page2" and "Page3"

Good luck!

jeepee.biz
 
// Added this code as a workaround to the following error that we've seen recently:
// "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
// See Microsoft KB article 819450 for more information
protected override WebRequest GetWebRequest(Uri uri)
{
HttpWebRequest webRequest = (HttpWebRequest) base.GetWebRequest(uri);

webRequest.KeepAlive = false;

return webRequest;
}

Not the best solution but worked for me. Surprised this has not been properly resolved.
 
welcome to the wow power leveling cheap Wow gold service site, buy cheap wow gold,wow gold,world of warcraft power leveling buy wow gold
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?