Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Installing .NET 1.1 SP1 and Resharper 108

You can find Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 here and a version for Windows Server 2003 here.
I installed it yesterday and it required a reboot (probably because I was running RSS Bandit, coded in C#). After the reboot, my Resharper trial (build 108) didn't work anymore, giving me a strange HRESULT.
My solution:
When VS.NET asked about removing Resharper, I chose "No". Then, I removed Resharper through "Add/Remove Programs" and reinstalled it. Everything went back to normal.
And why am I saying this? While everything seems fine with my software, it tastes bad. Something in .NET SP1 installation broke Resharper, a .NET application just like mine. Why? What broke? It's hard to say that Jetbrains did something wrong on Resharper that would break on a service pack installation (contrary to Vault, which used a poor design decision). Sooner or later (probably when this gets into Windows Update), my customers will upgrade to SP1 and this may happen to them. We have people testing our software under SP1 (heck, even my machine is running it), but I won't feel comfortable until a lot of people upgrade.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?